Paul and I went to the second of three childbirth classes today. Paul couldn't make it to the last class, because he was out of town for work. So, Kelly made an excellent partner and filled in for him. (Kelly and I always have too much fun together... a few times she cracked me up so much that I almost had to leave the room. I swear I was trying to pay attention.) This week we talked about when to go to the hospital, our biggest fears of labor, signs of labor, epidurals (yay), and breathing techniques.
I can now "Hee Hee Hoo" with the best of them, and Paul was a very good coach!
We also watched a birthing video... and all I have to say is ... I'm definitely getting an epidural. I'll take a big needle in the back over hours and hours of what looks like excruciating pain. Now I think my biggest fear is being able to get to the hospital in time to get the epidural. We live about 30 minutes from our hospital, and if I go into labor during rush hour it could be much longer. However, from what the nurse says... a first time mom takes a pretty long time during labor so we should be fine. I'm sure we'll make it in plenty of time.
These are the "growing weeks" and I'm feeling the consequences. I'm almost 33 weeks and am starting to "roll along" (as my mom says) instead of walk. Muscles are stretching, I'm starting to get sore, and it's getting a little more difficult to move at my regular pace and roll over in bed. I'm SO glad to be out for the summer... It's time to crank the AC, eat popsicles, and watch bad day time television with the pups to keep me company. That is... of course after we get things ready. Paul is currently painting the nursery (we finally decided on a nice green), we still need to do a lot to get ready. I'm glad we still have some time. I just can't believe how fast this last trimester is going already!




3 comments:
Thanks for the update!! :) How long is each class?? I am just surprised you have only three classes, so I am wondering if they are long classes? (Not that I think you need more classes - I don't think our 6 two-hour classes were worth the money we paid!) You will get to the hospital on time, while you are in the lobby, ask for an epidural... ;) once you get it, you are good to go! :) *hugs* Post more belly pix soon!
I had to leave the room when they showed the videos in our class. I could not watch them at all. Maybe that is why the fear the needle was/is much greater than labor :)
If you even think you are in labor near rush hour--just go and figure it out later. Though to warn you--my water broke at 9am and labor started around 10:30am and delivery was at 2:18pm so for those counting 5 hours and 18 minutes total or roughly 4 hours of active labor!
We need to get your pictures done soon--email me to set up.
I love the blog!!! You sound like you're handling this new experience like a pro. Can't wait to see you guys in August. I'm so excited to meet Addison!
Post a Comment