So after a horrible night last night of Addison arching her back, crying, stiffening her legs, refusing to eat (prior she had NO difficulty gulping down food), and having difficulty falling asleep. Paul and I gave her some Maalox, lifted her crib so that it was angled, and gave her lots of hugs and kisses. She finally fell asleep and I decided to call the doctor first thing the next morning.
Addison can be a little fussy at night, but nothing like she has in the past week or so. Plus, she was spitting up and having gurgly wet burps and hiccups. So, back to the doc we went today. He diagnosed her with GERD, which is basically acid reflux. He prescribed some Zantac and recommended putting a little rice cereal in her bottle (to help keep the formula down). He said that the Zantac takes about 3 days to start really helping. So we will keep Addie on the Maalox if she needs it. I gave her a bottle with some rice cereal today and she actually wanted to keep eating. Also, she actually went down for her nap with no problems. I'm so excited that I can see a difference already with just the cereal. I hope this helps her, it's hard to see your baby in so much pain!




5 comments:
Ava also had GERD and took Prevacid.
How long did she have to stay on Prevacid?
Hmmm. Let's see. Wow. She was right around 2 months when she started. A little over 2 months. That's a weird coincidence. Then, I think we just weaned her off of it when she was about 4 or 5 months and she didn't show any of those back arching or bottle refusals signs again. We just told the doctor at the following visit that she didn't need it anymore; we didn't wait for the ped's recommendation. The Prevacid was like a meltaway strip (like a Listerine strip) that we had to break in 1/2 or 1/4 (can't remember) and melt on her tongue. It was by Rx.
Oh goodness...poor little Addy (and sleep deprived mommy and daddy). Glad to hear the cereal is helping. I'm sure once the Zantac kicks in it'll help even more.
That's awful... I feel for you guys!
Post a Comment