Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, September 3, 2010

Doctor's Orders... Bed Rest at Almost 36 Weeks

My doctor decided to put me on bed rest for the next week in order to help me safely get to 37 weeks and deliver Jack. Since my symptoms of mild preeclampsia, my doctor has asked me to do blood tests twice a week and another 24 hour urine test. I go to see the doctor twice a week and today's appointment started off like all of the others. The ultrasound of Jack looked good and the doctor was just waiting on the results of my blood/urine tests.

This afternoon my doctor called to let me know that my test results were not getting better. The protein in my urine (one indicator of preeclampsia) jumped from 450 to over 3,000. The doctor told me that anything above 300 is not normal and anything above 5,000 can be dangerous. She also told me that my blood numbers were not looking good either... however, the numbers are not bad enough to induce me right away. She decided to put me on bed rest for the next week, which made today my last day at work before my maternity leave! This was awesome, but also stressful news (just because I wanted to wrap some things up before leaving). I am very happy to be on bed rest because by the end of the day I am really not feeling well. Last week I started getting headaches and just feeling sick to my stomach and weak. I am extremely lucky to have my family close by to help out with Addison while Paul is out of town because of work. Their help last week helped immensely!

Now the countdown begins... a little over one week before Jack is here. We have moved Addison into her "big girl" room, but poor little Jack's nursery is not done. In fact it still looks pretty girly with rose curtains and the flowery tree and bird sticker mural on the wall. It's amazing how fast time flew this pregnancy compared to last! It seems like sometimes I'm stuck in that Adam Sandler movie "Click" and my life switches into "fast forward" before I know it! Even though I feel like this pregnancy slipped by quickly, I do feel more prepared mentally for this baby. I know you can never predict what kind of kid you will get, but at least I have an idea of how tough the first few months can be! It will be difficult, but I know I can lean on my family for help and that makes a big difference. I will just pray that Jack comes out potty trained, sleeping through the night, with all of his teeth, and extremely compliant. I wonder if a symptom of preeclampsia is delusional expectations?

1 comment: